Our Two Year Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Boxes

So job B is working at UPS, I am a Package Handler, really I drive a fork lift and love this job. Like I said befor, UPS pays my way through college and I have full ~free~ health insurance. I also really love and enjoy this job, no working with stupid customers, or stuck-up humans. I work hard for 4-5 hours a night, have the week ends off and its really close to home.
I have to say though, it’s a fun job.
About 8months ago my cousin posted about USPS ( not us) delivering a pathetic looking box, and it made me think.
After working at UPS for a while and seeing how things are done I now understand. It may be different over at ‘small sort’ (place that has only shipment under 30lbs stuff and No forks) but in my hub we smash stuff all the time. Don’t get me wrong, we DO NO do it on purpose, never, shit just happens. Like the other day this girl was lifting a skid (with a fork lift) with like 50 5-8 lbs boxes all wrapped up together with shrink wrap and the whole thing just fell over on its side. Not that easy to tilt back over being the whole thing weighted close to 300lbs and the shrink wrap busted, so we had to use the forks to try to save time, nope in the end we had to hand stack them all and rewrap it. You may think that’s not that big of a deal, but we have time limits and not enough space and that’s just a bloody nuisance. So yea in the process a couple boxes were smashed. Three out of fifty is good. I mean any thing can happen, we sometimes have to move fast, and if getting the job done on time means we have to flatten a corner of a box it might just happen. We don’t normally hurt what’s in the box, the box just gets a bit beat up.

No comments: